Monday, June 10, 2013

Mi semana primera en Bocas!


Hola mis amigos!



It's been a very first week here in Panama, and I've been loving every single second of it. I'm also currently entertaining thoughts of living abroad a couple of months every year...always a crazy new location...Mom's not pleased with the direction of this thought, I can tell already. I also might end up missing Colorado summers like crazy. Bike rides and peaches and bbq and long summer nights are all just as amazing as the things I'm seeing here in Bocas.



Traveling here was fairly uneventful; I flew to Houston (you can now buy access to satellite TV on domestic flights, which I thought was crazy) and then to Panama City. If you ever do fly into Panama City, sit on the left side of the plane! We landed just as the sun was setting, and the whole city and the canal was lit up red and glowing. It was incredible.



Immigration showed me exactly how well my high school Spanish is serving me, and it's not well! I managed to explain that I was staying for seventy-six days, and that I was going to Bocas del Toro, but my explanation for why was something like: Quiero a estudiar el mar y los animales en el mar a “Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute.” (I want to study the ocean and the animals in the ocean at Smithsonian etc.). Finally I think the person took pity on me and just stamped my passport. Customs was even better. The girl was highly puzzled by the crazy amounts of tubing I was carrying down for Amber, and my explanation was something like: es plastico, para más...uh...bolsas...para pescado (It is plastic, for more...uh...bags...for fish). I've since learned the words for tubes (tubos) and aquariums (aquarios), but the customs girl laughed at me and gave up trying to understand what I was saying.



At least I didn't make the mistake that Amber did, when she was trying to explain the tubing was cheap. Instead of saying “Es muy barrato” she said “Es muy barracho” which means “It's very drunk.” I guess the customs people laughed their heads off about that one!



Sarah White, whose house we're staying in, flew down with me and we shared a room in Hotel Santana in Panama City. I wouldn't recommend it for anything besides a single night stay like ours, but the AC worked and the beds were comfortable. The next morning we flew to Bocas del Toro in a little airplane. I don't know much about planes, but there were propellers on the wing engines and there was one seat on the left of the aisle and two on the right. My dad might be able to tell you from that information what it was, but I just know it was small. I would again recommend sitting on the left side of the plane, because you get to watch the coastline the whole way up to Bocas. Our flight was super quick; only thirty-five minutes. The landing strip is cut straight through a bunch of jungle and what looks like sugar cane plants.



Sarah and I took a taxi to her house, which is beyond incredible. It's around the corner from main street and backs up to the water. The back of the house is the combined open kitchen and living room, and the back wall is all windows looking north over the water. Behind the house is their dock, which has a deck built over the top of it for jumping off of and for hanging hammocks in. It's easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed at. Next door on the east is a small garden and then several hotels. Next door on the west is a dive shop run by a Dutch man and his five-year-old son Shane, who likes to come over and play with us. It's fun to watch them manage the dive gear and take people out, although I've heard the diving here, while fun, isn't outstanding in terms of diversity of coral and sea life.



Myself, I feel like I've seen an incredible amount of sea life so far! I've been astonished by the number of animals we've seen from Sarah's dock; lots of little fish of course, but also probably a foot-long needle fish, an octopus, several rays, and a large starfish. Sarah's also seen pufferfish and eels here before. All of the houses along the water have decks, and it seems that every family has a little motor boat they use to get around. Water taxis are as common as car taxis (which are absolutely everywhere; I think they outnumber personal cars). The ocean is clearly a big part of life here, and I've been swimming every single day. It's just so lovely to get in the water when it's so hot out!



It's not actually been brutally hot, but when it's also super humid the heat takes it out of you. No one here moves at all quickly, which I'm finding it very easy to settle into. Most days have been a mix of sun and clouds, and the last two days have been full of heat lightning and pouring rain. This is, however, the wet season!



But I got distracted describing the house and the ocean and weather. I was talking about Sunday, when I got here. Mostly that day we lazed around the house; we also went grocery shopping and walked down main street a ways. The last three days we've been working at the Smithsonian, which has been really fun. It's been a pretty lazy schedule; we leave the house around 9:30 or 10:00 and we finish up whenever we get too hot or the wet lab gets too full of chichras, which are tiny evil biting bugs.



On Monday we spent a long time talking to Gabriel and Plinio, who got us all set up and registered. Gabriel is the administrative head of the institutue, and Plinio is an ex scientist who makes everything happen. After listening to all the rules and regulations, we started building the experimental set-up in the wet lab.



The wet-lab is a concrete deck with lots of drains and a corrugated plastic roof. There are overhead pipes that carry seawater that you can then tube down into tanks for any experiment that requires running seawater. For our experiment, we set up six tables, which will each hold thirty-six tanks for a total of 216 tanks. We also unpacked all of the supplies Amber had shipped down, which included a lot of tubing, valves, pH regulators and monitors, electricity timers, heaters, vials, and of course all of those tanks. They're small “KritterKeepers”; plastic tanks without lids, maybe twelve by eight inches or a little less. We unwrapped all the tanks and discovered that far too many of them were broken. The last thing we did were get the eighteen rain barrels, which will act as water reservoirs, in place.



By the time we had everything unpacked and sorted, it was about two and we were all too hot to do much else. The rest of the day we swam and attempted to cook dinner, which was aborted when the stove wouldn't light. Turns out the propane to the house wasn't actually on, until Wumpi came over and fixed it.



A minor aside about Wumpi – his family is the local family that takes care of the house between renters. Wumpi is a professional surfer, surf instructor, taxi driver, and jack-of-all-trades it seems. I've only met him briefly, but Sarah treats him like an older brother.



But for dinner that night, since we didn't have the stove, we made rice in the rice-cooker and mixed cheese, black beans, and hot sauce into it. I normally don't like beans a ton, but this was so incredibly tasty! I've decided it was a mix of better beans in Panama (not as mushy and more flavorful) and the fact that I was super hungry.



I spent most of the day on Tuesday using a large amount of duct tape and silicon to try sealing all of the broken tanks, some of which had gaping holes in them. I haven't tested any of them yet, but hopefully they all hold water! While I was busy with that project, Amber and Sarah cut holes in each rain barrel and bought cinder blocks to raise each one up. This was a great example of how I never want to plan a project like this; while Amber shipped most of her supplies here, she couldn't possibly plan for everything and she has to rely on getting some things down here. That being said, this is a tiny island and we weren't sure any of the hardware stores even carried cinder blocks, or if we would have to get them shipped in from the mainland. Like I said, I'm glad I'm not the one planning this whole thing.



Wednesday morning I put another layer of silicon on my tanks, and then in the afternoon we all swam out to a mangrove island off the Smithsonian dock to collect our first batch of finger coral. The coral is considered a weedy coral because it grows in lots of different water conditions and grows relatively rapidly. The best part was getting to swim around with Amber, who named nearly every species of sponge, coral, and algae that was present.



Thursday we spent setting up the rain barrels, which included drilling holes in them, teflon-taping the nozzles, wrenching them into the valves, and wrenching that whole setup into the rain barrels. It was an especially exciting job because the drill bit we had was ever so slightly too small, so we had to use a square head hammer to enlarge every single hole. A lot of sweat, grime, and blisters later, we were all quite pleased with ourselves. This is really what it means to do science, especially on a budget; we just kept trying contingency plans until something works. It's a great way to stimulate problem-solving, creativity, persistence, and a lot of work ethic, and it makes it even more clear to me how unrealistic labs are in high school, when kits lay everything out for you.



Friday was a pure collection day; we spent the morning gathering more corals and then in the afternoon we took a forty minute boat ride to Isla Pastores, where the sponges grow. On the way there we saw several dolphins, which was exciting! We were all exhausted when we got home, after all of our swimming and hauling buckets full of seawater and critters around. I also managed to completely fry my back, despite the sunscreen I put on. I knew I was going to do it at least once while I was here, so I'm hoping that now I'm good and I won't have to deal with that again.



My first full weekend in Bocas has been pretty mellow; Saturday was a downpour and so we spent most of our time laying on the couch reading. It was nice for me, especially, to let my sunburn recover a little bit. That night we went to the Sushi place on Main Street (fabulous; I highly recommend!) and then took a water taxi across to the Aqua Lounge, a club and hostel on the next island over. It seemed like a pretty equal mix of locals and backpackers, all enjoying their Coke-and-rums (which were at least 75% rum) and the electronic mixes of American music (LMFAO was highly prevalent). My favorite thing about both European and now Panamanian clubs: people actually dance!



Today I did all of the little chores I've been meaning to do all week; folded laundry, washed my socks, and organized my things a bit. There was also a lot of reading, a bit of writing, and a leisurely dip off the dock. It's nice to never have to rush while I'm here; everything is on island time. Even our four-to-six hour work days garnered Plinio's admonition that we were working too hard! So for now I think I'm going to keep lazing about town; tomorrow we'll get back to the work of building and setting everything up. Hopefully sometime this week I'll also get around to taking pictures, and to stealing some of Amber's, so I can show you exactly where I've landed myself this time. According to that saying about pictures and words, even this minor novel is only worth about two pictures!



Until then,

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment